So I've had the materials to make the girls new collars for literally MONTHS.... and it took me signing up for a doggie 5k to get my butt in gear!
Tonight I rounded up my materials:
-fabric of choice (scraps from a quilt top I made a few years ago)
-2 dollar store nylon dog collars (for the hardware)
- interfacing (yay more scraps!)
-sewing machine and iron
I started by cutting the hardware off ONE of the collars. ** Leave the other one alone for now so you can see how to put it back together!**
I laid my collar on my fabric and cut the piece 4 times as wide (folded in half twice it should fit your nylon inside it) and cut it about 5 inches longer than the cut collar.
Tyen I ironed my interfacing into the back of my fabric pieces
After ironing the interfacing on, fold your fabric piece in half lengthwise and iron.
*pro tip starch is super helpful*
I think of it like making bias tape.
Some tutorials I read wanted uppity to insert the nylon collar (or a piece of nylon which can be bought by the yard at hobby lobby) into one of the side folds and then fold in half and sew... I did do this with one of the collars, but with the thick heavy duty interfacing I used it was too thick to easily adjust so I left it out if the second and that worked much better.
This is the most complicated hardware. You have to thread the adjustment loop through then the end goes up through the end clip, back down through it, and up inside the adjustment loop and back down through it.(so the adjustment loop has 2 layers through it) Then you sew the loose end to itself where it was going up to the adjustment loop.
BUT THEN YOU ARE DONE!
Now you can cut your other collar and do it all over again!
Bindi the maniac was harder to capture a shot of 😂😂😂
Next step is to make them some girlie collar bling and then some coats for our February 5k.
I'll be sure to show you how it all turns out!!!